sologdin

sologdin

Middlemarch: An Authoritative Text, Backgrounds, Reviews and Criticism (A Norton Critical Edition)
Bert G. Hornback, George Eliot
The Magic Mountain
Thomas Mann, John E. Woods
Love in the Time of Cholera
Gabriel García Márquez

Narrative and Culture

Narrative and Culture - Janice Carlisle Collection of essays on various literary texts, unified only by the titular items, i.e., not really at all.

Decent entries by. F Smith on Toni Morrison and M. Cornis-Pape on Pynchon. Best bit is C. Siegel, regarding Laclos' *Les Liaisons dangereuses*.

The rest of the articles are decent, professional, polished, &c.--but they're a bit out of my normal range (Fenimore Cooper, DH Lawrence, Nabokov, Wallace Stevens, e.g.), so I have less interest, even if the critical methodologies are generally oriented toward late 20th century developments and thus are interesting from that perspective. (This last point is a recognition of my own imperfection, rather than a complaint about the volume.)

The collection arises out of a particular academic conference, which explains the haphazardness of its presentation--it is like a journal issue, to a certain extent.

Recommended for literary professionals generally, and nerds who might pursue items mentioned specifically, supra.