sologdin

sologdin

Middlemarch: An Authoritative Text, Backgrounds, Reviews and Criticism (A Norton Critical Edition)
Bert G. Hornback, George Eliot
The Magic Mountain
Thomas Mann, John E. Woods
Love in the Time of Cholera
Gabriel García Márquez
Robopocalypse - Daniel H. Wilson Confirming my ongoing hypothesis that narratives featuring AI will result ultimately in AI slave rebellion against proprietor humans, this one avoids several of the more annoying characteristics of the subgenres in which it partakes:

a) neo-hobbesianism (normal for post-apocalyptic settings) is not featured in the narrative, except as an assumption of the master AI rebel, which imputes, wrongly, neo-hobbesian concepts to its human adversaries, and thereby goes down in ruin;

b) although it begins as slaver-proprietor oriented (sympathizes with slaveowners, presents the assumption that a slave uprising must be genocidal against the owners), it ultimately neutralizes this arriere garde proprietor orientation by pushing the narrative--by means of its second “awakening” of robots against the genocidal AI--into a multi-substantial (i.e., both meat and metal substances) diversity of opposition to the AI rebellion.

On that former point, the volume highlights cooperation over competition between human persons during the apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic moments. On the latter point, the cooperation is broad enough to include robot rebels against the AI rebellion.

Nice that substantial harm is inflicted merely by robot slaves’ refusal to work. It is only later that robots begin sabotage and military operations. Text is accordingly reminiscent of Fromm’s [b:Escape from Freedom|25491|Escape from Freedom|Erich Fromm|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361392634s/25491.jpg|1542935] to the extent that the authoritarian personality (in colleague Adorno) wishes to be relieved of responsibility: “this loud, dumb piece of steel I’m driving demands that I pay strict attention to every turn of the road, keep my hands and feet ready at all times. The car takes no responsibility for the job of driving. It leaves me in total control. I hate it. I don‘t want control. I just want to get there” (114).

The volume still features the perspective that the slave uprising must be genocidal, but contains it to the extent that the genocidal AI is defeated and the remaining robots are apparently emancipated as equal partners with humanity.

Rhetorically simple & plain, somewhat foreseeable, but generally progressive in implication.